Thursday, September 27, 2007

My dear friend, Leti, who I have known and worked with for several years, has taken a position with another agency. I am excited for her and glad that she is furthering her career, but I am also really sad. Oh, sure, I can call and email and drop by her house. She lives in my part of the world. But nothing compares to jetting across the carpet and popping into her office to share some random bit of nonsense I just saw on the web, just to make her giggle. Hearing her giggle was one of the highlights of my work day.

Maybe it is the spontaneity that I will miss. I look at my dayrunner, at how incredibly packed it is with appointments, and I realize just how little spontaneity we are afforded these days. I love spontaneity. I love the way little children just break into song and dance at the drop of a hat no matter where they happen to be. I love it when one of my cats walks gracefully across the room and then, for no apparent reason, leaps 10 feet into the air and lands facing the way he came. I love the look on people's faces when you surprise them with a kind gesture. I love to be surprised, like when the wind suddenly picks up and a gentle shower taps you on the shoulder. Or when you look up from the steering wheel and see a double rainbow arched over the highway.

Spontaneity's where it's at.

No comments: