Sunday, September 9, 2007

Play Ball

This weekend wasn't all about leotards and tights. I watched a fair amount of sports as well. Overall it was a winning weekend. The Horns beat the Frogs, the Rangers beat the A's, and the Cowboys whupped the Giants. Even my high school alma mater won.

Unfortunately, my college alma mater lost. Again. Yeah, yeah... I know it's not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game. But the truth is, Stephen F Austin State University, ranked high in the state academically, just doesn't play the game well. You would think that a bunch of guys called the Lumberjacks would be motivated to prove themselves. Especially when the fans are cheering, "Ax 'em, Jacks!" I'm just sayin'...

The school officials must have had a sense of humor when they decided on the mascot. When I was there, rather than a drill team or dance team, SFA had a entire squad of baton twirlers. They were called - brace yourself - the Twirl-o-Jacks. Bless their little pea pickin' hearts.

I have absolutely no regrets over my choice of colleges. I was accepted to several. I chose the one that offered me a scholarship. Hey, I'm no fool! All kidding aside, I came from a small town. A big university like UT or Baylor would have eaten my lunch. I flourished in the intimate environment of SFA. And Nacogdoches is quite beautiful. Nope, no regrets.

No comments: