Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Lookin' Good

I supervise a few employees in an outreach and education program at a social service agency. My staff is awesome. I wish I could take full credit for them, mention how savvy I am at hiring capable folks, etc. But the truth is, these folks are not only capable, they are trustworthy and ethical and compassionate. They make me look good.

I wrangle two tween girls. My daughters are awesome. I wish I could take full credit for them, cite my amazing parenting skills, etc. (I have great help in the parenting department.) But the truth is that they are just easy to deal with and smart and caring. They make me look good.

I direct two choirs at church - an adult choir and a children's choir. These singers are awesome. I wish I could take full credit for them, brag about my teaching skills and leadership abilities. But the truth is these singers really work hard. They follow instruction, they take risks, they have a sense of humor. They make me look good.

I co-facilitate a depression support group once a week. The members are awesome. They try to give me full credit for how helpful the group experience is, but I can't take the credit. The truth is the members run the group. I direct traffic. They listen, validate, confront, suggest. And they make me look good.

No comments: