Friday, July 6, 2007

She's So... Ordinary

Watched a rerun of Grey's Anatomy last night. In one of the scenes, Meredith's mother called her ordinary. This seemed to crush Meredith and outrage those close to her.

I got to thinking about myself, about being ordinary. Should I be worried? I am ordinary. "How?" you may ask. I'll tell you:

I am neither tall nor short.
I am neither slender nor obese.
I think about diet and exercise. Think about it. That's all.
I am reasonably intelligent, but I am not a member of Mensa.
I am neither beautiful nor ugly.
I am neither rich nor poor.
I am neither the life of the party nor the wallflower.
I am equally comfortable at a cocktail party or a hoedown.
I am not a gourmet cook, but my family does not starve.
I like regular ol' run-of-the-mill milk chocolate.
I drink regular coffee with cream and sugar.
I still eat fried chicken.
Hamburgers are my favorite food.
I recycle, but I do not take my own bags to the grocery store.
I sometimes spend money when I shouldn't.
I listen to mainstream pop music on radio.
I enjoy a good romantic comedy.
I read fiction.
It takes me more than one evening to finish a book.
I watch network television by choice.
I can sew, but I am not an expert seamstress.
I believe I could have made it through a few rounds of American Idol.
I am a decent friend, but I'm not sure I would hear the phone ring if you called me at 2:00 am.
I am a Christian, but I have been known to use "colorful" language.
Sometimes I say, "ain't" and "fixin'" and "ya'll."
I do not abuse my children, but I do yell at them sometimes.
I've never taken an illegal substance.
Heck, I'm even middle-aged!

I have decided that in this world of extremes, I will embrace my ordinary-ness. I fall in the middle somewhere on nearly all counts, and that gives me pretty good odds for being able to fit into most situations. If you are ordinary, too, drop me a line. We'll start a club.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I'll be ordinary right along with ya, sister! I rather enjoy my "ordinariness", as I enjoy yours as well. I think that's what makes us so special!!!

amcnew said...

Thanks, girlfriend!