Saturday, July 28, 2007

Go Ahead and Laugh

I went to see the movie Hair Spray tonight. Had a really hard time wrapping my brain around John Travolta as a large, silly woman, but otherwise had a good time. I laughed an awful lot, which is one of my favorite activities.

Here's my confession to you, reader - I love musicals. I always have. When I was a little girl, I used to make up songs and choreograph them and get the neighbor kids together to put on a show. I know, I know... they are silly, they are unrealistic, people don't just break into song and dance at the drop of a hat, blah, blah, blah... And how do all the passersby just happen to know the words to the songs and the dance steps so that they can join in? Okay, I have to admit that is puzzling...

The thing is, I want to live in that world. I want to be able to sing and shout and spin and whirl and leap and drag others along with me when I am filled with emotion. I already do it in my head anyway. Lately I have been doing it a lot. I worry that one day I will forget to keep it in my head and that I will end up on the psych floor of the county hospital. Maybe you will come visit me there, and we can put on a big production number with the other residents!

No comments: