Friday, September 5, 2008

Did You Know?

Did you know that if you fill every spare moment of every single day with some sort of important, meaningful activity, you can shut out the demons in your head? And that the more selfless the activity, the quieter the voices?

And did you know that if you move fast enough - car, boat, go kart, roller coaster, motorcycle, legs, mouth, hands, whatever - you can outrun memories?

And did you know that if you surround yourself with other people and keep them close to you, wearing them like some sort of talisman, you can avoid facing yourself and your own inadequacies and insecurity?

Well... you can. For a while.

Be still, and know that I am God..." (Psalm 46:10)

1 comment:

BB said...

Until my 36th birthday, the voices of the past could call me at any time. The phone could ring, and suddenly it was 1983 all over again. Same old issues, same old problems, same old quandaries... it was no way to even focus on my present, let alone my future. I had to make some tough decisions. No tough decision is made without regrets, I suppose, but my life has been far better for it ever since.

"It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things." Theodore Roosevelt