Thursday, June 21, 2007

Some Firsts

Recent weeks have brought about some "firsts" for me. I love the exhilaration of trying new things - exotic food, cultural experiences, fresh faces - but I learned the hard way that not all firsts are fun.

My girls' dance studio does a cute thing at recital each year. For a nominal fee (and a whole lot of sweat equity), moms and dads can learn a dance routine with their child to perform on the big day. The not-so-little one talked me into dancing with her. Although I have appeared on stage many times as a vocalist, and I have even danced a bit while singing with my Sweet Adelines chorus, I have never really danced. It was a total blast, and I can't wait until next year! (Note: next year I plan to take about 20 lbs less of me on stage...)

My husband has danced with the girls for a few years, and we always get a big kick out of seeing all those middle-aged white guys "strut their stuff" in front of all the squealing moms in the audience. But this year was tops. This year the middle-aged white guys were transformed into hip-hop hotties, hamming it up to the likes of Justin Timberlake's Sexyback. I laughed so hard I could barely breathe when the pack of 'em came at the audience lipsynching, "This is why I'm hot... this is why you're not..." Unforgettable.

We took a short vacation to San Antonio last weekend to celebrate another first. The little one was being honored by the Texas PTA with Overall Achievement of Excellence for her entry of a choreographed dance. The entry did not place at nationals, but not a shabby accomplishment for a second-grader. She thinks it's pretty cool to be Best in Texas. I agree.

Another first for me was riding The Rattler with a high temperature. I have been sick for a few weeks, and fever spiked while walking around Fiesta Texas. It was probably 95 degrees and 98% humidity outside, and I was burning up from the inside out. I'm a roller coaster nut, but I was really hurting when I got off that ride. Bad idea...

No comments: